Get InvolvedOpportunities to Help
Job opportunities, internship opportunities, volunteer opportunities, and social awareness.
Get InvolvedOpportunities to Help
Internship opportunities, volunteer opportunities, and social awareness.
AVDA Job Opportunities
For more information about a job listing below or to submit your cover letter and resume, please email email@example.com.
Bilingual Client Advocate
The Client Advocate serves as a connection between victim-survivors of family violence and sources of community support by providing in-depth and ongoing advocacy and social-services referrals. Emphasis is on serving clients who are not able to access shelter-based support systems.
Responsibilities include the initiation and ongoing contact with clients—to ensure accuracy of contact information for clients and to determine physical, financial, and emotional needs; answering intake calls, appropriately screening applicants for services, and providing basic but accurate information regarding the legal options available to callers; meeting with applicants for services, gathering necessary documentation from applicants, and preparing files for attorney review; providing crisis counseling, information, and referrals; and assisting in the maintenance of a computerized client database. This is a full-time, exempt position.
Qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in family violence, Master’s degree preferred; bilingual in English and Spanish required; knowledge of domestic violence; crisis counseling experience; sensitivity to victims of domestic violence; appreciation of diversity and a sensitivity to people of varying lifestyles, ethnicity, and religious groups; strong oral and written communication skills; and proficiency with PCs, including word processing and other general office machines.
The Receptionist answers the telephone, greets clients, and provides some limited administrative support for the organization’s staff. The Receptionist also handles all administrative support for the Executive Assistant/Office Manager.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience as a Receptionist required
- Bilingual in English and Spanish required
- Ability to work in a confidential environment, dealing with sensitive information, and maintain high level of confidentiality
- Appreciation of diversity and a sensitivity to people of varying lifestyles, ethnicity and religious groups
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Knowledge of copy machines and other general office equipment
- Polished and professional telephone skills and clear speaking voice
- Dependable transportation
Internship opportunities to work directly with clients are limited to graduate students currently enrolled in accredited programs in specific disciplines. Contact AVDA for more information. 1. Masters in Counseling— AVDA is excited to announce that we are currently accepting counseling and social work practicum students for the fall semester. LPC-Interns with an existing supervisor are also encouraged to apply. Email our executive assistant at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. 2. Students enrolled in ABA-accredited Law School— Strong preferences for students who have completed Family Law, Marital Property, or Domestic Violence and the Law courses.
- Summer clerkships in family-law litigation available for up to four students per summer. Positions typically are filled in February. To apply, send resume, cover letter and legal writing sample of 10 pages or less to email@example.com
- Semester-long internships in family-law litigation available. Must apply six weeks prior to start of semester.
Volunteer at AVDA
Volunteers are an important part of the AVDA family, and there are many ways in which you can join the team to help families trapped in a cycle of violence. AVDA volunteers can assist both clients and AVDA staff in a variety of ways. Some ways in which you can partner with AVDA in making a difference are:
- Administrative Help— Assist AVDA staff with filing, organization, case management, and other office tasks. Daily responsibilities could also include conducting victim intakes over the phone or assisting the office manager with outreach tasks. Candidate may be asked to lift or move boxes or files. Comfortable shoes are recommended. If you are interested, please contact us.
- Special Events— AVDA hosts a variety of community events, including volunteer activities, health fairs and our annual Home Safe Home Gala. We need volunteers to help with invitation addressing, registration, and other tasks associated with annual AVDA events throughout the year. If you are interested, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Court Accompaniment—Candidate needs to have some availability from Mon-Thurs mornings to accompany clients to family-court hearings and criminal trials. Note: Requires completion of training course in domestic violence and issues specific to court accompaniment. If you are interested, please contact email@example.com to learn more about volunteer application and orientation.
- Clerical Support
- Special Events
- Client Intake
- Court Accompaniment
To be considered for AVDA’s Volunteer Program, all applicants must complete an application and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org. Participants must also sign a confidentiality agreement underlining that you will not share any information about clients, cases or other sensitive information with anyone outside of the AVDA office. All volunteers agree to a background check upon completion and submission of their volunteer application. Once accepted to the program, an orientation of the AVDA office, policy and procedures will be provided. Volunteers opportunities are generally during AVDA office hours: 8am – 5pm at 1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 • Houston, TX 77002, but help with special events may be outside of those hours.
Help Us #EndAbuse For Good
- We Are More Than A Hashtag.
- Join the surge of solidarity that’s spreading around the world.
- Show us your #EndAbuse selfie, tag your friends and family, and ask them to post their own.
- Post photo of yourself with the #EndAbuse sign to your favorite social media platforms.
- Use the #EndAbuse hashtag and tag us so we can add your selfie to our #EndAbuse collage of those choosing to make a difference!
- The #EndAbuse collage will grow as more and more people join us and announce their support to #EndAbuse.
- Like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter to get the most current #EndAbuse collage.
Why is this important?
- 1 in 3 women experience domestic abuse in their lifetime.
- 2 million injuries and 1,300 deaths are caused each year as a result of domestic violence.
- Most domestic violence incidents are never reported.
Safety alert: Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. If you are afraid that your internet or computer usage might be monitored, use a safer computer, call your local hotline, or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 Houston, TX 77002
F: 713-715-6935 | 713-715-6945