Victim AdvocacyYou Deserve Safety. It's Your Right!
Let us help you find the path to safety while confidentially answering your questions.
AVDA understands the challenges that victims of abuse face. We provide our clients with help at no cost for:
- Legal representation for protective orders, divorce, child support, child custody and adoption
- Developing an individual Safety and Self-Sufficiency Plan that identifies different options and resources to address emotional, physical, financial and legal risks/concerns
- Referrals for emergency food, shelter, medical care, counseling and other social-service needs
- Individual and group counseling for the survivor and her/his children (in Harris County)
- Financial assistance for emergency shelter, food, transportation and more
- Funds for education and training
- Advocacy with police, prosecutors and the Austin, Grimes, Harris, Fort Bend, Waller and Washington County courts
- Information about her/his rights under the Texas Family Code and insight into how the family courts work
- Information about her/his rights and options regarding criminal law and guidance as to how the criminal justice system operates
- Assistance in completing Texas Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund applications
AVDA is here to help.
Our Victim Advocates are sitting by to take your call from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday or you may request a call-back through our online request for services. If you leave a message, please let us know the safest time to call back. After speaking with you, the Victim Advocate will schedule an appointment for you.
We have replaced face-to-face meetings with phone calls and the Zoom conferencing application. The courts are still open, and in certain cases, we still accompany clients for hearings at the court houses.
For Austin, Grimes, Waller and Washington counties, call (979) 826-3290, ext. 219.
For Fort Bend County, call (281) 207-2312 to schedule an appointment.
For Harris County, call (713) 224-9911 to schedule an appointment.
We also “meet” with clients of The Bridge Over Troubled Waters, Inc., 3811 Allen-Genoa Road, Pasadena, through referrals.
Safety alert: Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. If you are afraid that your internet or computer usage might be monitored, use a safer computer, call your local hotline, or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 Houston, TX 77002
F: 713-715-6935 for Legal Advocacy
F: 713-715-6945 for Battering Intervention & Prevention
1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 Houston, TX 77002 P: 713-224-9911 F: 713-715-6935 | 713-715-6945