Victim AdvocacyYou Deserve Safety. It's Your Right!
Let us help you find the path to safety while confidentially answering your questions.
AVDA understands the challenges that victims of abuse face. We provide our clients with help at no cost for:
- Legal representation for protective orders, divorce, child support, child custody and adoption
- Developing an individual Safety and Self-Sufficiency Plan that identifies different options and resources to address emotional, physical, financial and legal risks/concerns
- Referrals for emergency food, shelter, medical care, counseling and other social-service needs
- Individual and group counseling for the survivor and her/his children (in Harris County)
- Financial assistance for emergency shelter, food, transportation and more
- Funds for education and training
- Advocacy with police, prosecutors and the Harris and Fort Bend county courts
- Information about her/his rights under the Texas Family Code and insight into how the family courts work
- Information about her/his rights and options regarding criminal law and guidance as to how the criminal justice system operates
- Assistance in completing Texas Crime Victims’ Compensation Fund applications
AVDA is here to help.
Our Victim Advocates are sitting by to take your call from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday at 713-224-9911 or you may request a call-back through our online request for services.
After speaking with you, the Victim Advocate will schedule an appointment with you at the AVDA offices, 1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600, Houston, TX 77002. Fort Bend County residents meet at The United Way Fort Bend Center, 12300 Parc Crest Drive, Suite 140, Stafford, Texas 77477.
In Harris County, you may also meet with an ADVA Advocate at the following locations:
Westside Family Violence Unit/Houston Police Department, 3203 S. Dairy Ashford. Every Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (832) 394-5611. Walk-ins on a first come, first served basis.
Southeast Family Violence Unit/Houston Police Department, 8300 Mykawa Rd. Every Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. (832) 394-1797. Walk-ins on a first come, first served basis.
Houston Area Women’s Center (HAWC), 1010 Waugh Dr., Alternative Mondays for HAWC clients only.
Safety alert: Computer use can be monitored and is impossible to completely clear. If you are afraid that your internet or computer usage might be monitored, use a safer computer, call your local hotline, or call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or TTY 1-800-787-3224.
1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 Houston, TX 77002
F: 713-715-6935 | 713-715-6945
1001 Texas Ave., Suite 600 Houston, TX 77002 P: 713-224-9911 F: 713-715-6935 | 713-715-6945